So how can you as a busy business owner possibly keep up? And what impact does beauty really have on you and your business?
Well, although you might not frequent the latest red carpet event, as a business owner you do have opportunities to attend networking events, chamber meetings, and of course interact with your customers and clients. Doing business in such a progressive and transient city like Alexandria means not only staying ahead of your industry’s trends, but also staying ahead of or at least in step with the national beauty trends.
If your makeup look or lack thereof feels outdated and your idea of getting ready for work is washing your face and throwing a tube of chap stick in your back pocket, then keep reading…these recommendations are for you. And even if you do take an extra moment to apply a bit of concealer and powder before you hit the office, these recommendations can further enhance what you are already doing.
Yes, I know the trends are sometimes overwhelming to re-create, from the “classic red lip” to the sultry “smokey eye”, but here are three Summer 2012 trends that are simple to incorporate into your oh so busy schedule:
- The “Nude” Lip: This simply means that you wear a lipstick that shows up about a shade or two lighter than your natural lip color. This allows you to have a very light wash of color on the lips that is neutral yet polished. Depending on your preference you might try one of the following lipstick formulas available:
- Classic Matte Lipstick ( dry texture, most staining on the lips, and absolutely shine free)
- Satin Lipstick (provides a little bit more moisture than the matte formula, but is still shine free)
- Crème Lipstick (indicative of its name, soft, creamy, rich, and well pigmented with a bit of shine)
Once you choose your nude lipstick shade and texture, feel free to add a little glamour to your lips by applying a sheer, creamy lip gloss for finishing touches. This trend is an easy one to keep in step with once you find the color that best complements your natural lip complexion. Wear this color when doing daily business and attending weekly networking events and meetings. You will look well put together and the image of your business will benefit also.
- Voluminous Eye Lashes: This is an easy way to give the appearance of more open and awake eyes. Connect eyes with your team and customers, giving them your full attention. Studies show that as much as 93% of a message’s meaning is communicated non-verbally, with eye contact being one of the most expressive. Since eye contact is as important of a communicator for your business, why not explore some of the ways to make your eyes stand out in your next meeting.
Here are a few of my favorite eye lash enhancers:
- L’Oreal Paris’ Double Extend Mascara (double-sided to include a primer and black mascara to add volume, length and long-wearing lashes)
- Revlon’s “Fantasy Lengths” self-adhesive false lashes (a fool-proof mechanism to adding immediate volume to your lashes without the hassle of an adhesive)
- MAC Cosmetic’s Prep and Prime Lash Serum (a safe and inexpensive way to grow longer fuller lashes; this product boasts results in just 6-8 weeks)
- Finger Nail Care: Nail your next deal with a handful of colorful and trendy nails suitable for the most professional of interactions. With your hands always on display, it’s imperative to maintain a clean and polished finish to your nails. Now although the latest “nail accessory and fanged nail shape” trend may not fit your industry, you can still participate with color. And this season’s nail trends make it easy to do with the launch of hundreds of new colors even for the most neutral of business owners. On your next visit to the nail salon or the local drugstore choose to be in-trend with your color choice:
- Maybelline New York’s Color Show nail polish (choose from over 30 new shades)
- Gel Color by OPI (the latest way to give your nails a salon finish at home; instant drying and smudge proof)
- Essie Nail Polish (offering a polish color for every woman; select one of the summer collection’s subtly bright, but office right colors)
This summer’s beauty trends are all about maintaining a stress-free yet sophisticated look in the midst of what is often a thriving time for business owners. Don’t allow the busyness of your business leave you in the dark of the awesome trends of the season; step out while the sun’s still shining.
Enjoy the remainder of the summer, and take a moment to step off your storefront and onto the runway; it’s never too late to catch up!
“Multiplying Courage and Confidence,”
Mrs. Candace Claiborn, owner of